As it pertains to schools, the Alberta government’s most recent announcement was focused on finding the balance between COVID protocols and minimizing the impact on youth, especially in terms of their mental health. We share this concern and have observed a more typical level of enjoyment amongst our students already this year. Below are reminders and updates of our school COVID protocols.
Last Updated: October 22, 2021
- Academy Guidelines
- College Guidelines
Masking in School
- All students from K-6 will wear a mask in school. However, we are very aware of how challenging it is for young students to wear a mask all day, and teachers are encouraged to have students take a short mask break when it is safe to do so.
- Masks are not required outside the school building, but students will be encouraged to remain physically distanced.
- We have desk shields for student desks from Grades 1-6. Students will be able to work without a mask when seated at their desks and working independently.
- Kindergarten tables have plexiglass dividers.
- PE will be outside as much as possible. Please make sure your child is dressed for the weather.
- We continue to run short on masks, so please ensure that your child has a mask to wear every day. Remember the slogan “A Mask to Wear and A Spare.” Please consider sending a box of disposal masks with your child.
- Students will remain in their classroom cohort while in school.
- Teachers will move from class to class when necessary, but students will stay in their homeroom, except for music. Students will be in the music room one class at a time.
- Teachers are very aware of the need for movement and will be providing students with short breaks outside.
- All students will eat lunch in their classroom.
End of the School Day
- At the end of the school day, there is often congestion around the school’s front doors. If you are picking up your child and cannot physically distance yourself from other parents or students, please wear a mask
- To allow for social distancing outside after school, we recommend that families select a tree, playground post etc., as a place to meet your children so that we can reduce congregation around the exit doors.
- Our playgrounds are used throughout the day by students and after school by our MOSP program. Please do not use the playgrounds until after 5:30 PM each day.
Notification of a Case of Covid & Outbreaks
- We are relying on parents to let us know if their child has tested positive for COVID-19. Alberta Health Services will take on the lead of contact notification in mid-November.
- Alberta Health Services will identify online each school where there are at least 2 COVID-19 cases.
- Should a positive case occur when an individual is infectious while in school, families whose children would be considered a close contact will be notified. These students are not required to isolate. However, we recommend that household members of a positive COVID-19 individual not attend school for 14 days.
- For Kindergarten to Grade 6 only, if 3 or more COVID-19 cases are identified in one class within a 5-day period, parents will be notified that all students in that class are excluded from in-person learning for 10 days. The class will shift to at-home learning.
- Also, please remember to fill out the return to school form in our Parent Portal if your child has been absent from school.
As we move forward, it remains Master’s intention to do all we can to keep our students safe. We appreciate your cooperation and understanding as we navigate the uncertainties that this school year will bring.
Masking in School
- Masking has been in place since the beginning of the school year for areas where distancing could not be maintained such as the hallways. This will continue. As well, masks continue to be required at all times on school transportation. In classrooms where distancing cannot be maintained, masks must be worn. Masking protocols also apply to indoor areas included in field trips.
- Students in grade 7 and 8 will now purchase their food and then return to their core learning areas upstairs to eat.
- Students in grade 7 and 8 who are not purchasing food can go directly to their designated area to eat.
- Students in grade 9 – 12 will be required to eat in their core classrooms.
- All students need to be seated with distancing while eating as masks will be off at that time.
Field Trips, Extracurricular Sports and Clubs
- Field Trips, Extracurricular Sports and Clubs are permitted to continue with compliance to COVID protocols. Should you as a parent decide that your child will not participate in a school planned activity, we understand and support your discretion as a parent.
Cleaning and Sanitizing
- Our increased cleaning and sanitizing will continue. There are hand sanitizer stations in all hallways and classrooms for student use. Disinfectant wipes are also available in classrooms for any supplies or desk tops that students want to wipe down.
Our theme this year is Infinite Hope, and we continue to hope and pray for a safe school year that permits students to have many of the experiences important to them in their teenage years.